Following the Sammy Yatim police shooting death, the Province changed regulations to allow for Constables to be armed with CEWS.
This came weeks after the shooting death of Steve Mesic in Hamilton, a person who was fighting mental illness when he had a fatal confrontation with two Hamilton Police officers behind his Upper Wentworth and Linc area home.
Neither of the officers were carrying CEWs and a public debate ensued – would Mesic be alive if Hamilton Police officers had the less-lethal force opinion available?
The Registered Speakers
There are 16 registered speakers this evening:
- Mr. Michael Thomas, President, Hamilton Police Association
- Mr. Larry Pomerantz, Chair, Hamilton Civic League
- Dr. Joseph Ferencz
- Mr. Stephen Ross, Citizen
- Ms. Ana Long, Citizen
- Ms. Trish Mills, Citizen
- Mr. Paul J. Parkinson, Citizen
- Mr. Frank Gotz, Citizen
- Mr. Alex Tigchelaar, Citizen
- Mr. Norm Dorr, Citizen
- Mr. George Zrinscak, Citizen
- Mr. Warren Francis, Citizen
- Ms. Sharon Dorr, Citizen
- Mr. John Wilkinson, Citizen
- “A Mom” (wishes to remain anonymous), Citizen
- Mr. Jamie Anderson, President, Hamilton Police Senior Officers Association